Acid Reflux (gastroesophageal reflux disease) – a disorder associated with the systematic regurgitation of stomach contents back into the esophagus, accompanied by its inflammation (esophagitis).
Acid Reflux is heartburn and extremely common, and can cause a lot of ongoing problems for many people. Some reasons for the Acid Reflux:
- Frequent caffeine
- Frequent alcohol
- Citrus juices
- Chewing gum all the time
- Eating on the go, always in a rush
- Fatty foods
- Pain medications known as NSAIDS and aspirin
- Skipping breakfast and having a large evening meal
People can get into trouble with Acid Reflux, with their Heartburn, if they allow it to continue without changing their lifestyle and without getting medication. With acid irritating tissues in the esophagus over time, people can develop scarring, bleeding, and in extreme cases, types of cancer, esophageal carcinoma.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux:
- A cough that pretends to be Asthma
- Acidy, brash taste in the mouth
- Bleeding in the food pipe, the esophagus
- Coughing at night
- Excess gas
- Intolerance of spicy, rich, fatty foods
- Unexplained, chronic throat irritation
- Wet burps
- Worsening heartburn when lying down
- Stomach Ulcers
- Endoscopy of the esophagus and stomach with the detection of erosions and inflammation in the lower third of the esophagus;
- Esophageal manometry (definition of contractility of the lower third of the esophagus);
- Transesophageal pH monitoring of the esophagus with the definition of the composition of gastric juice during the day;
- Biopsy of the esophagus – to determine the extent of damage, infection or malignant degeneration;
- Radiopaque examination with barium suspension, the definition of esophagus.
Another surprising and important development in treating Acid problems is finding that people have a bug, a microbe, inside their guts called Helicobacter pylori.
The treatment consists of three successive stages:
- Keeping of a diet and lifestyle changes, the rejection of provoking foods and beverages, smoking cessation, changes in posture for sleep;
- Drug therapy, assigning resources from heartburn, antacid drugs, neutralizing the excess acid in the stomach, histamine receptor antagonists, proton pump inhibitors – inhibit acid secretion by cells of gastric. Sometimes prescribed drugs regulators gastric motility to accelerate the passage of food from the stomach into the intestines;
- Surgical treatment of reflux at the ineffectiveness of other methods – fundoplication, surgery for the repair of hiatal hernia.