Enteritis characterized by a disturbance of digestion and absorption processes, the cause of the disease can be inflammatory and dystrophic changes of the mucous membrane of small intestine.
Enteritis can be:
- Occurring with degenerative changes of the enterocytes;
- Chronic, without concomitant atrophic processes.
Depending on the change in functional characteristics, enteritis may occur against the background of violations of membrane digestion, absorption process or change the intestinal motility.
- Most bowel pathology is associated with malnutrition, exposure to a variety of physical or chemical factors.
- The cause of enteritis can be infectious disease, occurring with lesions of the intestinal mucosa (dysentery, salmonellosis, viral infections).
- The disease can occur in the background helminthic invasion, giardiasis.
- Also enteritis may develop due to a violation of organs the digestive system: stomach, liver, biliary tract and pancreas.
Enteritis: symptoms and diagnosis
Symptoms of acute enteritis
– Abundant loose stools up to 15 times a day;
– Nausea, vomiting;
– An increase in temperature, headaches and painful abdomen;
– Weakness, pale dry skin, white tongue coating;
– Bloating and rumbling abdomen.
1. Enteral symptoms: diarrhea, liquid and mushy, with undigested food residues; swelling, pain, agitation in the abdomen; dizziness, trembling of the limbs, copious white tongue coating.
2. Externally-intestinal manifestations. When inflammation of the small intestine is disturbed the absorption of vitamins and nutrients, metabolism, decreased immunity, dystrophy and hypovitaminosis.
If you have symptoms of enteritis the doctor examines the patient and appoints a number of diagnostic procedures to determine the degree of damage to the small intestine, the localization of inflammatory lesions, etc.
Additional diagnostic methods include:
- analysis of blood (the general, biochemistry);
- tests for the presence in the stool of substances occult blood;
- virological testing;
- feces analysis on intestinal group;
- endoscopic examination of the small intestine;
- radiological diagnostic;
- ultrasound of the pancreas, liver (in the case of suspicion on co-morbidity).
In the treatment of enteritis advised not to take medications that promote retardation of bowel motility, since all harmful substances, in this case not eliminated from the body and remain in the bowel lumen. In this case it is better to take enterosorbent.
The main treatment of enteritis – is a diet. On the first day it is better to refrain from eating, then patients are advised to drink up to 500 ml of rice water a day. Food products are introduced into the patient’s diet gradually. Food should be dietary and mechanically machined, with minimizing carbohydrates and fats. Especially should avoid foods with a high content of crude fiber and dietary fiber.
With adequate therapy enteritis can be cured for incomplete week. And remember: to avoid this unpleasant inflammation as enteritis, you need to comply with preventive measures: proper nutrition, hygiene, the abandonment of harmful habits and uncontrolled reception of medicines. Be healthy!