Migraine (hemicrania) – this is a very strong sharp recurring headache that causes nausea, vomiting, and can last a whole day. Migraine is a chronic neurological disease. Treatment of headache usually occurs with the help of painkillers. Migraine Treatment requires a professional approach and diagnostics.
It is still not find out the exact cause of cerebral dysfunctions that cause migraine attacks. Migraine often affects people who are predisposed to it genetically. Migraine occurs due to a whole range of reasons, depending on the case, and brain function. Women are subjected to migraines more often than a men. For the treatment of migraine should be avoided factors that cause pain syndrome.
Provoking factors for migraine symptoms usually are:
- Weather factors;
- Physical exertion;
- Bright or flickering lights;
- Pungent smells;
- High altitude;
- Travel, oscillating movements;
- Lack of sleep;
- Taking certain foods and alcohol;
- Hormonal changes;
- Headache during pregnancy.
How to distinguish between a normal headache from migraine? Migraine symptoms occur in combination. The usual headache may be the cause of a hard day at work, a migraine can occur even a weekend morning.
Among the main symptoms of migraine are the following:
- Irritation to the light;
- Irritation to the sound;
- Pain on movement;
- Short visual disturbances.
In the case of recurring headache it is mandatory to visit a doctor. Diagnosis is based on clinical indicators, based on a survey of the patient and his general inspection. It is important to bear in mind that the actual paroxysms of migraine status (ie, systematically returning it attacks) may act as the first symptoms suggestive of a brain tumor or vascular malformation.
Given the potential seriousness of the condition of the patient is required to conduct a detailed examination to exclude organic process. In particular you will need to visit an ophthalmologist to check fundus of the eye, visual acuity; and also such procedures as electroencephalography, CT and MRI.
Migraine: Treatment and Prevention
Treatment of the disease can be medicated and non-medicated.
In the first case it means the use of the following drugs:
- Anti-inflammatory (steroidal) drugs;
- Nasal sprays dihydroergotamine;
- Selective agonists that stimulate the production of serotonin.
Non-drug treatment option includes:
- First, is need to ensure peace and quiet to the patient, as well as a certain darkness of the room in which the patient is located, to prevent an increased reaction to exposure to bright light;
- Can be used the massage of head, neck area and massage the ears;
- Certain results can be achieved through the use of acupuncture, as well as cold or warm dressing for the head;
- Are permitted water treatments (therapeutic baths) and physiotherapy, focused on the maintaining the overall tone and the corresponding impact in regard to the cervical spine;
- An additional measure in the treatment of migraine is a diet with the exception of products that provoke its attacks;
- An important influence on the way through migraine treatment is a good dream, as the result – a significant improvement in general condition and pain intensity of exposure, and complete disappearance of headache;
- If possible, the stress should be avoided – it play an important role in the context of the causes that provoke migraines; Proper distribution of physical and mental exertion;
- Good effect has a presence in a patient of a hobbies, creating a positive emotional state.
- In addition, to the patient is important to independently learn to stop migraine attacks occurring at the very beginning of their development.