Pyoderma – a group of infectious inflammatory skin diseases caused by microorganisms, most commonly Staphylococcus and Streptococcus. In healthy skin, these bacteria can exist without causing any ailments. But under certain conditions, such as: a variety of microtrauma, dermatoses, accompanied by pruritus (itching, eczema), skin contamination, low immunity, chronic diseases, excessive sweating, oily skin, reveal themselves.
Factors contributing to the occurrence of pyoderma
Pathogenic microorganisms living on the skin, lead to pyoderma at the presence of one, and often several of the following negative factors:
- Increased aggressiveness of pathogenic bacteria;
- Violation of the protective properties of the skin (usually it occurs at higher skin pH above 5.5);
- Skin injury (wounds, abrasions) or breach of the protective film that covers the surface of the skin;
- Itchy skin diseases (scabies, eczema, atopic dermatitis, atopic dermatitis), this is a secondary pyoderma;
- Shortage in the body of vitamins (A, C, group B), micronutrients;
- Endocrine diseases (e.g., diabetes);
- Immunodeficiency (AIDS);
- Diseases of the nervous and digestive systems;
- Use of drugs that disrupt the normal skin regeneration – glucocorticoids and cytostatics;
- Fatigue, hypothermia.
Symptoms and diagnosis of pyoderma
The first thing the doctor faces – the clinical picture of the disease – characteristic skin lesions, and lesion location, the number of abnormal elements, course of the disease, and age of patient.
The most common clinical manifestations of pyoderma are folliculitis, carbuncle, furuncle, vulgar sycosis, hydradenitis, impetigo.
When pyoderma may experience changes in blood test (leukocytosis, increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
For the diagnosis of pyoderma and identify the causative agent of the disease carried:
- microscopic examination of the material: from the source is taken the smear containing pathological microorganisms. Then, these microorganisms are applied to the glass, stained and examined under a microscope.
- bacteriological examination of existing material (on special nutrient media is sown pathogen), and then can determine the sensitivity of the pathogen to various antibiotics, to determine the most effective drug.
Pyoderma Treatment and Prevention
Treatment pyoderma includes both general methods to improve the protective properties of the body, course of the disease, and medical procedures.
The main drugs that are always present in the treatment of pyoderma – a topical treatment (antibiotic ointments, exfoliating agents, aniline dyes). In severe cases, antibiotics are prescribed in the form of tablets and injectable preparations. When protracted course and frequent relapses – Immunopreparat, vitamin therapy. In acute cases – dissection purulent focus with its subsequent processing and drainage.
Treatment also aims to eliminate the cause of pyoderma. Thus, to prevent the development of pustular skin diseases, it is necessary first of all to reduce the effect of provoking factors. Constant personal hygiene, a balanced diet, work and rest regime – required components pyoderma prevention.