Phytotherapy (herbal medicine) – a method of treatment of diseases, based on the use of medicinal properties of plants and drugs from them.
Features of Phytotherapy
For long centuries, people have used a plants to maintain the health, evidenced by historical monuments. Ancient healers and witch doctors knew that the environment – is a source of health, and if used properly, herbs can cure many ailments. For the preparation of pharmaceuticals been used grass, young leaves, needles of coniferous trees, subsequently subjected to careful processing, and then has been used as a medicine.
Modern phytotherapy – is an independent medical discipline that is taught in the system of training doctors, pharmacists. However, drug flora is not fully explored, so even studied plants rarely used in clinical practice.
Benefits of herbal medicine
- Inhibition of different bacteria and viruses that are the cause of most diseases. Similar with antibiotics substances are found in garlic, onions, horseradish, many spice plants. “Dangerous” for the microbes are also essential oils on the basis of lavender, mint and thyme.
- Some plants do not just help to cope with the disease, they activate the internal protective forces of the human organism, improve immunity, allowing the illness to win faster.
- Increased blood flow to particular organs. Useful substances are carried throughout the body more quickly, it gets all that is necessary, accordingly, the process of healing is faster. Because of increased blood flow to the organs in them is changed the metabolism.
- Stop the bleeding. Any cuts, even the smallest, to the wound dragged on, it is necessary to have good blood clotting. The higher clotting, the bleeding stops soon. Such properties are possessed yarrow, mother-and-stepmother, plantain.
- The increase in cell division. This body’s function is very important, because it is thanks to her heal wounds, ulcers, mucous membranes restored. All these functions are vitamins that can be found eg in sea buckthorn oil.
- Strengthening the enzyme system of the human body. These are substances that help to stimulate the internal processes, provide fast processing of substances that enter the body, and promote the absorption of mineral elements. Some plants contain these enzymes, which enhance the function of assimilation of nutrients, or simply encourage the emergence of its own enzymes in the body.
- The effect on the nervous system. The structure of many soothing syrups and pills include herbal extracts. With properly treated herbs by specialists can achieve the desired effect – relaxation, tonic state, sedative and soporific function. For strong healthy sleep, will be effective use of valerian or tea with leaves of lemon balm and peppermint.
- Many herbs are very useful in the form of spices and seasonings. They normalize digestion and improve the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Some diuretics herbs prescribed in the treatment of kidney disease, cystitis and gynecological diseases.
Disadvantages of herbal medicine
Any plant, natural product, has both its indications and contraindications, and when an overdose therapeutic effect is replaced by a toxic.
There is no harmless plants, each has certain contraindications. Much depends on the composition and concentration, time of reception and combine with food and other drugs. Determined to improve their health by using any herbal remedies, it is necessary to examine their effect and impact on the body as a whole, be sure to consult a doctor. And only after a careful analysis of the state of the organism and the disease stage to decide on the admission of specific drugs.
Consequences of improper use of herbal remedies
- Sustainable ill health associated with the exacerbation of underlying disease;
- The sharp aggravation of comorbidities;
- The emergence of has not previously observed symptoms;
- The emergence of allergic reactions, especially if a person has previously not been observed tendency to allergies;